“Don’t get cocky, kid.”
The encounter designers for Fallout 4 love to scatter mines and boobytraps around. That’s in addition to giving your enemies an infinite supply of grenades and molotov cocktails, and arming the occasional raider with a nuclear grenade launcher (that whistling sound as they’re incoming is tied with the beeping of an approaching Super Mutant Suicider for my “ohshit” reflex).
Still, most of the time you get sent out for a Cleanup On Aisle One (“defeat $BADGUYS”, “rescue $SETTLER”, “clean out $NEWTOWN”), you don’t need a lot of radiation protection on your armor. You can line your Tuxedo with ballistic weave, pull out your trusty tommygun, and earn some caps by busting caps.
Then you run into someone who’s scattered a few of these around their base:
If you see one of these before stepping on it, retreat and put on your best anti-rad suit before returning; the people who use them have other glowing surprises waiting for you, too.
In other news, here’s my current list of most-wanted mods for the game (official or third-party):
- Face-Saver: let me copy/paste any human face. It’s hard to make your character look good, and every hand-designed NPC in the game could be used as a starting point.
- Just Tell Me Who To Kill: hit a key to skip past the long, repetitive NPC dialog at the start, middle, and end of every quest or vendor interaction. You could do this in Skyrim, but in F4, you have to wait through every speech before being given the opportunity to respond, or to receive credit for the quest. And if they wander off in mid-sentence, you have to do it again.
- Don’t Stand So Close To Me: NPCs shouldn’t speak their stock lines unless you’re right next to them, facing them. Having Danse in your settlement is like an endless stream of Brotherhood propaganda sound bites, and Marcy Long is going to get fragged some night to put an end to her constant bitching. Worse, if an NPC is standing near you when you activate a crafting station, they’ll keep spamming you for the entire session; the default placement of the weapons station in Sanctuary practically guarantees this.
- Searchable Map/Inventory: ’nuff said.
- Money Ain’t Junk: put pre-war money in the Misc category so it doesn’t get recycled for crafting.
- Planet Of The Hats: add the ballistic weave modification to more hats. Right now, the only one I can find that accepts the mod is the Trilby, which is a great hat, but doesn’t go with every outfit. Something colorful to go with the Summer Shorts would be nice (since it leaves the arm and leg slots free for additional armor…). Bonus for adding weave to the upgraded version of the Silver Shroud costume and its matching hat.
- Make ’Em Glow: highlight lootable corpses the same way the power armor mod highlights active creatures.
[Update: #3 = No NPC Comments, #5 = Hey That’s Not Junk. Something I didn’t have on my list, but definitely like, Faster Terminal Displays (the long pause after unlocking/disabling something is still there. I tried one of the additional-music mods, but it was “poorly curated”, to put it kindly.]