If IE was pronounced “aiyee!”…
…is WIE pronounced “whyyyyyyy?”?
Quick notes based on running the new IE7 under Parallels on my Mac:
- It appears that if you accept the default anti-phishing behavior, a record of every new website you visit is sent to Microsoft, omitting only the arguments passed to CGI scripts. “Sanitized for your protection,” of course, but my, what a powerful market-research tool you’ve got there, Grandma.
- It finally supports transparency in PNG images, so the logo for my blog renders correctly for the first time.
- It still constructs phony italics for fonts that not only don’t have them, but shouldn’t (cf. the Japanese song titles in my sidebar).
- That stupid little print/view/save/molest toolbar no longer pops up on every image in your browser.
- Still no support for :hover styles in CSS.
More later, if I find a reason to care…
[Update: The WIE team claims that :hover now works, but I can’t seem to set background-color with it. Eh, “standardization; who needs it?”]